Sunday, March 22, 2015

Matilda by Roald Dahl - Book Review



Another adorably bookish book that I've come across this month is Matilda by master storyteller Roald Dahl. (See my previous review to know more about The Storied Life of A.J. Ficky, another bookish wonder). I actually listened to the audiobook of Matilda, which was so fun it didn't even feel like it was actually over 4 hours long. Read on to discover or rediscover this classic of children literature.

The Plot

At barely 4 years old, Matilda is a genius who not only teaches herself to read, but who also takes an early interest in books. Her passion leads her to the public library where she soon discovers the magic of books. Later on, as she starts school, her teacher, Miss Honey, is quick to notice the remarkable intellect of her new student and decides to help the little girl shine to her true potential. Between playing tricks on her painfully negligent parents and avoiding the wrath of mean headmistress Miss Trunchbull, Matilda continues her eager exploration of the universe of books and learns more about the people and the world around her.

My Review

The Characters
Matilda is a formidable character who is likely to inspire children to grow a love for books as they discover her story. She is a sweet, level-headed and very smart little girl. Though she is young, she is smart enough to know no one is allowed to bully her and doesn't hesitate to do what she must to defend herself against those who are mean or downright cruel to her. She is a character who stands up to her bullies without stooping to their level, making her one of the best role models in youth literature. The 'villains' are also nicely portrayed, ranging from the shamelessly indifferent parents to the mean headmistress Miss Trunchbull. Matilda's teacher, Miss Honey is a great supportive adult character who not only lends her support to the little girl but who also goes out of her way to allow Matilda to rise to her true potential. 

The Story
The book covers Matilda's many adventures, presenting the narrative as a series of distinctive but related stories. The story is captivating enough to encourage even an adult to read on. Though it is a story meant for children, the story has deep moments that are likely to make young and adult readers alike pause and think. 

The Prose
Though the author is writing for a younger audience, he neither takes a patronizing nor a cheesy voice, keeping the language whimsical but beautiful. An adult reader is also likely to capture subtleties spun in the text that might escape a younger child. Older kids might pick up those subtle messages and make a deeper meaning of their reading. The language employed thus makes this book highly accessible to readers of all ages.

The Ending 
Matilda being a children's book, it naturally has a beautifully written happy ending. The last few pages brings Matilda's story to a satisfying conclusion that points at a happy continuation for the young heroine. 

The Rating
I gave this book a very well deserved 4-star rating on Goodreads.

If you have kids or young siblings and relatives, I highly recommend you give them this book. I wish I had discovered Matilda as a kid! Though I really don't see how much more of a book nerd I might have turned out as :p

Follow me here:



11 comments:

  1. I remember my younger brother reading Matilda and recommending to me a few years back. I really loved the movie, maybe I should read the book too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no age really to appreciate this book :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I love Roald Dahl! He was so creative with his story telling, making his books so great for expanding imaginations. I love the style of your review too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to discover more of his books this year. Thanks for the kind words Robyn :)

      Delete
  3. I'm ashamed to say I've never read a Roald Dahl book - but I always said I would start with Matilda. This post is making me think maybe its time I went out and bought the book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try! To be honest Matilda is only my second Roald Dahl book :) It's never too late to discover great authors hehe.

      Delete
    2. Yeah you should enter the world of Roald Dahl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I gave this book a five star too. Love love love how you decided to write and lay out the review :D Hmmm, I read this three years ago for school (for real) and quite enjoyed it! Was my first book by this author but then I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and loved it even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola :) I try to make my reviews as fun as I can to allow more people to discover great books. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory should be the next Roald Dahl I try ;)

      Delete
  5. I like how you edited this review as well. Its eye catching, especially with the different paragraph titles and pictures, great job! I haven't read this one but I did see the movie. That cake scene sticks out in my memory lol. Your review has convinced me to give the book a try though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely words Melissa :) Haha for me its the opposite. I've read the book but haven't watched the movie. It should be interesting to see how they translated the story to a movie, including that cake scene ;)

      Delete