Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Wrap-Up


Welcome back guys! It's the 1st of March already (or it will be soon, depending on your timezone) and I thought it would be good to start the month by looking back on all the books I've read in February. 

Starting this March, I'll be making reading wrap-ups at the beginning of each month, where I'll be listing down the books I've read, show you the ratings I gave them on Goodreads and write a brief synopsis for each book so that you get a better idea of what they are about. For those of you who are not familiar with the Goodreads star rating system, see below to know what it looks like.

So this month, I read a total of 8 books, out of which 3 were actually graphic novels (these were over 100 pages each so that DOESN'T count as cheating). This isn't too bad, I guess. Although for me, that's kind of the equivalent of a bad reading month. 



My reading average per month is usually 10 books, so yeah, February wasn't the best of reading months for me. 


I'll list the books I've read starting with the one to which I gave the lowest rating till the one I enjoyed most.


Maybe something will catch your eye from the list? Just don't come blaming me if you somehow inexplicably end up with a bunch of new books in the coming days! Now pour yourself a warm cup of tea, make yourself comfortable and enjoy this little wrap-up.


So starting with the one I enjoyed least...





8. Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr - 2 stars



This is the second book in the Wicked Lovely series, a YA faerie series. Now, YA fantasy is something I am usually very selective about, especially with the likes of faeries. This is not a bad series per say but let's just say that the only reason I kind of forced myself to read Ink Exchange is because this series had been sitting unread on my shelf for years and the guilt was really started to gnaw at me. 

This book, and the series in general, deals with royals from faerie courts and the repercussions from their mingling with mortals in Huntsdale, a small American town (aren't they all?). There is not much plot other than the scheming of some and the plotting of others. It's a quick read though, so although I didn't quite enjoy this book, in many ways it was the perfect read for this particularly busy February. Click here for my full review of Ink Exchange.



7. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - 3 stars

This book is set in 1999 and it is about a man, Lincoln, whose job is to monitor emails sent between the people working in a newspaper office. One day, he comes across a series of emails exchanged between co-workers and best friends Jennifer and Beth. However, instead of turning them in for improper office behavior, he keeps on reading their messages, strangely captivated by their stories. As the days pass, Lincoln becomes oddly familiar with the girls, especially Beth, for whom he soon starts to develop a particular fondness. By the time he realizes that he may be falling in love with her though, it is too late for him to properly introduce himself because then, he would have to confess to have secretly been reading the girls' emails and risk passing for a creepy stalker. 
This was quite an enjoyable read, although too chick-lit for my taste. If that's a genre you appreciate though, do check this one out. This is no Fangirl nor Eleanor and Park, two popular books by the same author, but it's still quite fun to read. Click here  for my review of Attachments. 

6. Amulet Volume 1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi - 3 stars

This middle-grade graphic novel follows the story of Emily and her little brother after they move in with their mother in their great-grandfather's house. Shortly after they move in, they realize that evil, supernatural forces lurk in the shadows of the old house. When their mother is taken away by a terrifying creature, Emily and her brother decide to save her by following the monster into the strange and dangerous world it came from. Thus ensues an adventure filled with monsters, unexpected allies, talking animals and robots. And as if that wasn't work enough for the young Emily, she also finds herself entrusted with a strange amulet with mysterious powers. The artwork is gorgeous and the story too isn't too bad. My main problem was that Emily is a little too accepting of all the weird things that are happening around her. The story has barely started that she already knows, somewhat inexplicably, how to fight monsters and channel the powers of the amulet. But overall, it's still an enjoyable story and that too, regardless of your age.

5. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black - 4 stars

Hazel and her brother live in the town of Fairfold, where humans and faeries have been living together for years. The townspeople though, have learned to remain cautious of the fae, aware of both their magic and the danger it can represent. In the woods sits a glass coffin. Inside rests a beautiful faery boy, who has been sleeping for decades in silence, such that he has pretty much become part of the town's lore. Then one day, he inexplicably awakens from his slumber, triggering a series of events that changes everything the people of Fairfold have always known to be true. Overall, this book was quite fun to read. And I realize it also means I've read two faery books last month when I don't even particularly like faery books that much. Anyway, this book was quite good but the ending could have been executed better. It also suffered from slightly underdeveloped plot elements, hence the missing fifth star. Click here for my review of this book.

4. A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin - 5 stars (obviously!)

This is the 5th book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. This book follows the stories of main characters Jon, Tyrion, Arya and Daenerys in parallel to the events of the 4th book, up to a point in the book where all the stories catch up with where we had left the other characters' stories in the previous installment. This marks the return of characters we hadn't heard about since book 4 and brings all story lines to the current timeline. This book was superb, spectacular even. Saying more would mean spoiling this book so you might prefer instead to read my spoiler-free review here


3 & 2. Alex + Ada (Volumes 1 and 2) by Jonathan Luna - 5 stars

Numbers 3 and 2 are a tie between the two first volumes of Alex + Ada. This is a sci-fi comics series set in a futuristic, but highly realistic world, where androids, robots with high artificial intelligence, have been developed. These androids take care of an array of things from mundane housekeeping to performing jobs previously held by humans. In recent times, a new and somewhat controversial type of android has been developed. These high-priced robots are made to looked like normal people and equipped with a huge database of intelligence which gives them the ability to act almost human. Because of this, these androids have been adopted by rich people for companionship purposes. Or for downright sex, 'cause, why not? Our main character, Alex, one day receives an unexpected gift for his birthday from his (rich, filthy rich) grandmother (who might also be the sexiest grandma I've ever come across in fiction). Alex opens the box and to his shock, finds within a female android ready to be switched on and activated. What he chooses to do next changes his life forever, which may or may not be a bad thing. This is one of the best comics I've read in a long time. Simplistic but beautiful artwork, great character development, gripping story... A must read, most definitely. Check out my review for Alex + Ada volume 1 here.

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - 5 stars (only because Goodreads doesn't have 6 stars)

This is one of my favorite books of all time. Honest. Now that's been settled, let me try to tell you what this book is about without spoiling too much.
Celia and Marco are two magicians who've been trained since childhood by their respective mentors in preparation for a challenge whose outcome will determine who is the better magician. Years later, after they both become involved in a circus called Le Cirque des RĂªves, they decide to make it their arena. As they compete against each through feats of magic and imagination, the circus quickly grows to become a phenomenon of its own, ultimately tying the fates of various people to Marco and Celia's. 
That's all I can say about the story. After all, part of the magic of this book resides in figuring things out along with Marco and Celia. If you can't tell already, I love this book. The beautiful prose and the vivid, highly imaginative descriptions make an otherworldly journey out of this unique story. It combines intertwining plotlines and intriguing characters in a singular and very much enjoyable book that will leave you hooked till you turn the last page and realize you've come to the end of the book. The Night Circus is one of those stories which you do not read but savor. A must read for sure!

So that's it for the books I've read this month guys. Overall, I've read some pretty good books in February. If you've read or plan to read any of the books mentioned in this wrap-up, let me know in the comments below. 

Follow me here:
Bloglovin'
Facebook
Pinterest



15 comments:

  1. Veeeeery nice! I'll be expecting to see far more books for next month missy:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try, Lanie, will try! Although March is probably going to be a busier month than February :p

      Delete
  2. A great list! I'll define be checking out The Night Circus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harvey. Do check that out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I only average about 5/6 books a month - I'm amazed how you do it! The Night Circus is also one of my favourites of all time and A Dance With Dragon is this next in the series I need to read, you've got me excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Emma :) I guess I'm just a book junkie :p Oh, you totally should read A Dance With Dragons. You'll love it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my monthly recap! That's one thing i forgot to do is list what I've read.

    Also, you have to remember that February is a shorter month than all the others.

    I'll definitely have to check out The Night Circus, it sounds really good!

    Great recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wrap-up was still fun to read though :)

      Hopefully March will go even better reading-wise.

      Yeah I can't recommend the Night Circus enough! Thanks for the feedback Stephanie :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my monthly recap! That's one thing i forgot to do is list what I've read.

    Also, you have to remember that February is a shorter month than all the others.

    I'll definitely have to check out The Night Circus, it sounds really good!

    Great recap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I think the recap of what books your read is really good. I look forward to reading more posts! :) I like the looks of "The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern" So i will be looking to get that book in order to add it into my collection.

    Maff.x

    http://www.teatomorrow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Matthew :) I do think you'll enjoy the Night Circus.

      Delete
  7. I totally loved the Night Circus so much that I listened to it on Audiobook and read it. I really loved the audio edition. A Dance with Dragons... hmm that one I started about 2 years ago but just can't bring myself to read it yet knowing that damn Martin isn't finished with the series and really does seem to care too much to finish it, if you ask me. I love the series but I just don't want to get to the end as it stands now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. It's a little frustrating not knowing when the next book is coming out. Too many cliffhangers remaining to be resolved :/

      Delete
  8. In February you got through quite a lot of good books! I have only read A Game of Thrones at the moment, but I am interested in reading all the way through the books as well. Also, Attachments seems to be a pretty popular one, but I haven't tried anything by that author yet. I will have to see ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keep on reading A Song Of Ice and Fire. It only gets better beyond book one ;) If ever you feel like reading something by Rainbow Rowell, you might want to start with Fangirl. Or even Eleanor and Park. Both are awesome!

      Delete